Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Holidays are in Full Swing

I have a few more things to post about before Christmas.

Christmas full living room First of all, we finally got our Christmas tree last week. My daughter came home from college on Friday and tonight she hung up her ornaments. Our tree is quite a mixture of ornaments and colors.

Some of my daughters were saying how they would like a ‘designer tree’ with a theme and color palette. This makes me smile, because I used to feel the same way, but those same little  girls would have felt very sad a few short years ago if I wouldn’t have allowed them to help decorate the tree with their treasures. I would love a fancy organized tree, but I’m sentimental, so it will never happen until my husband caves in and lets me have two trees.

If you missed my earlier post of other Christmas decorations around my house, here is the link.

Growing up my parents would let us each have a new ornament every Christmas. Some were store bought and some years they were handmade. I have a stuffed bird that came from patterns printed on fabric in the 70’s. One year we drew pictures on round lids from liver containers and shrunk them ‘Shrinky-Dink’ style in the oven. That one has been lost, but growing up in a large family that had to share a lot, that little shoe box full of ornaments was precious and I still put most of them on my tree.

IMG_0939

Christmas ornaments  I hope someday my girls will treasure their old ornaments too.

 

IMG_0930IMG_0931

I tried a new fudge recipe this year that I really like. This batch was ‘mixed nut fudge’ – all the fun of mixed nuts, now in fudge, which is something my body needs anyway.

I also got my fat book back from the swap I participated in at Thrifty Miss Priss. Here is a glimpse.

 Fat Book 1 Collage

 

fatbook fall 2009This was my page. I didn’t want to post it before everyone got their books. Participating in this was a lot of fun. There was so much talent and effort put into the pages, and my picture collage doesn’t do it justice. Once I’m not so busy I’ll finish the cover. 

Lastly, I won a fabulous prize from the Where Women Create Christmas giveaway! I am so thankful and overjoyed. If you want to see the wonderful necklace I won click here and look at ‘the ninth day of Christmas’

Extra arts, crafts and decorating really kept me going when I was discouraged recently about my foot not healing well. But I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot and  I have so much to be thankful for! My family, the birth of Christ,  and all of you - friends, family, and those I’ve never met.

Merry Christmas!

-Lynnae

7 comments:

  1. Your house is always so fun.

    One thing I miss about my paternal grandmother is that she used to buy us an ornament every year. I have no idea what happened to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tree.. and all the old ornaments. I have wanted to have a pretty tree but, my kids love their ornaments on the tree too.. Love the silk stockings you made. Also the special book you put together. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have ONE ornament from my childhood, which makes me very, very sad. I would find a place for them, but we do love our Angel tree.

    My boys have a tree in there room, with all of there school made treasures and a new ornament each year from Santa. They put their tree up so happily each year, it brings back a lot of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANd the exchange looks so great! I am adding swaps to my New Years goals....the tags I got have been so great! I will do more! Beautiful pictures, but I can't wait to flip through the pages in rel life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fact that your Christmas tree still bears so many wonderful memories. In my book, that beats a "commercially beautiful" tree any day!!!!
    Congrats on your win...what a beautiful necklace! lucky lucky you!
    Your fat book is darling, it's so neat to have a piece of everyone's art.
    It's Christmas Eve and I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you and wishing you the merriest of holidays Lynnae!
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynnae- I love the story about the ornaments. My mom has most of the old ones, but I have great memories of pulling them out every year and looking at them.

    You don't look old enough to have a daughter in college! My vision changed two months after my 40th b-day. Depressing. I don't have to wear glasses all of the time, but my eyes get fatigued quickl now. And I definitely need them to read... SIGH.

    You're fat book is awesome. I love swaps. I hope to do another this year. I held a round-robin, and my book came back not finished. I wasn't happy. But hey, I did get some wonderful art!

    Happy New Year! - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend (Mary Green) brought her copy over to show us, it was just great. What a beautiful book, I love all the whites!

    ReplyDelete

People who must have their share in the conversation: