Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jane Austen Tea Party
















As I mentioned last week, I decided to throw a little Jane Austen Party for my siblings, nieces and nephews over mid-winter break. It was great fun having everyone over and my guests were all great sports at playing along, being my guinea pigs in learning a dance, and reading my Jane Austen script. Here I sit with one of my sisters. She is in the blue gown, and I have the strange feather headpiece that photographs more like a static electricity problem than an adornment.





We started with a 'cocoa and punch tea party', then we performed an 'amature theatrical' dramatic reading of my adaptation of Jane Austen's Juvenile work "Love and Friendship". I assigned parts and doled out an ample supply of felt sideburns and mustaches for the male parts. This was a good laugh and It was fun to see my adaptation come to life.





After that we tried our hands at some English Country Dancing. I taught several couples the 'Hole in the Wall' dance and we got through it several times with music, and felt quite elegant, despite the small number of couples and cramped quarters in my living room, which served as the assembly room.

Thank you all for coming! I hope in the future to be hostess of many such events!

7 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer to you! What a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so amazing! Please let's plan with more time so that I can beg and plead to come. I need an excuse to find a dress.

    The food looks great too..... I want to see more pictures! And where, pray tell, did you get that amazing seamstress bust stand? It looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great party! So glad the post on Hole in the Wall was helpful! Regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bloggy friend of Ramona's. What a great blog! (I'm also an Austenite). :)

    I'm so envious of your party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I'm in ecstasies over your posh party! What a sweet dress! I really must find a way to meet such fun friends who would be willing to play along with my theatrical ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh for fun! I love that everyone looks like they are enjoying themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely event. I wish I could have attended.

    Cheers, Laurel Ann, Austenprose

    ReplyDelete

People who must have their share in the conversation: