Saturday, September 29, 2007

What I would Like to See in Sense and Sensibility

I really enjoy the Columbia Pictures version of Sense and Sensibility from 1995. I thought it was a great adaptation, even though the story line is so contracted. I guess they can't all be a mini-series. Even though the actresses Emma Thompson and Kate Winslett each gave an excellent performance, all in all I would like to see a younger Elinor and Marianne. These sisters are both supposed to be in their teens. Winslett may pass, but not Thompson. I once heard somewhere of Sense and Sensibility with the mock subtitle; "You're Never Too Young to be an Old Maid." I know to carry a movie like this you want the acting clout of an Emma Thompson that is hard to find in someone who looks nineteen. It does change the story though to have the sisters older. (Having said that, I will let you know that Emma Thompson has me Crying like a baby every time I watch it). The men cast in this version couldn't be more perfect. And I don't say that lightly. In addition to being good actors they look the part, and the age, that they should. I love Alan Rickman as Brandon. Now let me tell you what I would really like to see, regardless of the age of the participants. I would like a little more something between Elinor and Lucy Steele. Their story is a genteel, regency version of a hair-pulling, nail slashing cat fight, and I would like to see the claws out a little more. As I read the novel, Lucy knows Edward Ferrars is in love with Elinor, and I suspect Elinor know that Lucy knows it. Lucy is not just trying to warn her off, she is basking in the drama and her own triumph. Engagements were virtually legally binding at the time. In the movie Elinor seems to be trying to be polite to Lucy and not letting it be known that she loves Edward. It the book it seems that every comment is a bit of a barb, and all of Lucy's comments and little worries are gloating jabs back at Elinor. I would like to see this played up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who must have their share in the conversation: