Sunday, February 28, 2010

After School

History of England Austen’s History of England, with illustration by Cassandra Austen.

It's done now. The school presentation went well and the girls seemed interested (Don't take that wrong, it was all girls). We did not have time to learn a dance, but judging by the age and shyness factor of the girls, that may have been for the best in a school environment. So we read "The Visit", a play from Jane Austen’s Juvenile works. I will add it below. I made a few changes for smoother reading, but it’s basically the same. They laughed and thought it was fun. I also showed them an example of one of Jane’s ‘crossed letters’ and encouraged then to try and write one and see if their friends could read it.

crossed_letter_big Crossed letter

I don’t know why I was so nervous about going into the school. I need to either quit doing things like this or do them more often!

A funny story- the night before, I told Jon “Whatever you do, don’t leave for work without buttoning my into my dress” (I cannot button my Jane Austen dress on my own).  Well, in the morning I was buttoned up, did the presentation, and came home ready to rejoice by collapsing on the couch in a tee shirt and pajama pants……. until I realized I couldn’t get out of my dress until the kids came home from school.

Where are the servants when you need them!

-Lynnae

 

 

 

The Visit

A COMEDY IN 2 ACTS

Dedication

To the Revd. James Austen

(adapted for performance by Lynnae Pulsipher)

SIR,

The following Drama, which I humbly recommend to your Protection & Patronage, tho' inferior to those celebrated Comedies called "The School for Jealousy" & "The Travelled Man", will I hope afford some amusement to so respectable a Curate as yourself; which was the end in veiw when it was first composed by your Humble Servant the Author.

Dramatis Personae

Sir Arthur Hampton    Lady HamptonLord

Fitzgerald                        Miss Fitzgerald

Stanly                                Sophy Hampton

Willoughby, Sir Arthur's nephew      

Cloe Willoughby           Servant

The scenes are laid in Lord Fitzgerald's House.

ACT THE FIRST

Scene the first, a Parlour --

enter LORD FITZGERALD & STANLY

STANLY.       

Cousin, I am your servant.

LORD FITZGERALD.

Stanly, good morning to you. I hope you slept well last night.

STANLY.

Remarkably well, I thank you.

LORD FITZGERALD.

I am afraid you found your Bed too short. It was bought in my Grandmother's time, who was herself a very short woman & made a point of suiting all her Beds to her own length, as she never wished to have any company in the House, on account of an unfortunate impediment in her speech, which she was sensible of being very disagreable to her inmates.

STANLY.

Make no more excuses, dear Fitzgerald.

LORD FITZGERALD.

I will not distress you by too much civility -- I only beg you will consider yourself as much at home as in your Father's house. Remember, "The more free, the more Wellcome."

[exit FITZGERALD

STANLY.

Amiable Youth!

"Your virtues, could he imitate
How happy would be Stanly's fate!"

[exit STANLY

Scene the 2d.

STANLY & MISS FITZGERALD, discovered.

STANLY.

What Company is it you expect to dine with you to Day, Cousin?

MISS FITZGERALD.

Sir Arthur & Lady Hampton; their Daughter, Nephew & Niece.

STANLY.

Miss Hampton & her Cousin are both Handsome, are they not?

MISS FITZGERALD.

Miss Willoughby is extremely so. Miss Hampton is a fine Girl, but not equal to her.

STANLY.

Is not your Brother attached to the Latter?

MISS FITZGERALD.

He admires her, I know, but I believe nothing more. Indeed I have heard him say that she was the most beautiful, pleasing, & amiable Girl in the world, & that of all others he should prefer her for his Wife. But it never went any farther, I'm certain.

STANLY.

And yet my Cousin never says a thing he does not mean.

MISS FITZGERALD.

Never. From his Cradle he has always been a strict adherent to Truth

[Exeunt Severally


End of the First Act.


ACT THE SECOND

Scene the first. The Drawing Room.

Chairs set round in a row. LORD FITZGERALD, MISS FITZGERALD & STANLY seated.

Enter a Servant.

SERVANT.

Sir Arthur & Lady Hampton. Miss Hampton, Mr. & Miss Willoughby.

[Exit SERVANT

Enter the Company.

MISS FITZGERALD.

I hope I have the pleasure of seeing your Ladyship well. Sir Arthur, your servant. Yrs., Mr. Willoughby. Dear Sophy, Dear Cloe, --

CLOE WILLOUGHBY.

Good day

SOPHY HAMPTON.

Hello. [They pay their Compliments alternately.

The Dining Parlour.

MISS FITZGERALD.

Pray be seated. [They sit

Bless me! there ought to be 8 Chairs & there are but 6. However, if your Ladyship will but take Sir Arthur in your Lap, & Sophy my Brother in hers, I beleive we shall do pretty well.

LADY HAMPTON.

Oh! with pleasure....

CLOE WILLOUGHBY

I beg his Lordship would be seated.

MISS FITZGERALD.

I am really shocked at crouding you in such a manner, but my Grandmother (who bought all the furniture of this room) as she had never a very large Party, did not think it necessary to buy more Chairs than were sufficient for her own family and two of her particular freinds.

SOPHY HAMPTON

I beg you will make no apologies. Your Brother is very light.

STANLY, aside)

What a cherub is Cloe!

CLOE WILLOUGHBY, aside)

What a seraph is Stanly!

Enter a Servant.

SERVANT.

Dinner is on table.

CLOE WILLOUGHBY.

I shall trouble Mr. Stanly for a Little of the fried Cow heel & Onion.

STANLY.

Oh Madam, there is a secret pleasure in helping so amiable a Lady. --

LADY HAMPTON.

I assure you, my Lord, Sir Arthur never touches wine; but Sophy will toss off a bumper I am sure, to oblige your Lordship.

LORD FITZGERALD.

Elder wine or Mead, Miss Hampton?

SOPHY HAMPTON

If it is equal to you, Sir, I should prefer some warm ale with a toast and nutmeg.

LORD FITZGERALD.

Two glasses of warmed ale with a toast and nutmeg.

MISS FITZGERALD.

I am afraid, Mr. Willoughby, you take no care of yourself. I fear you don't meet with any thing to your liking.

WILLOUGHBY.

Oh! Madam, I can want for nothing while there are red herrings on table.

LORD FITZGERALD.

Sir Arthur, taste that Tripe. I think you will not find it amiss.

LADY HAMPTON.

Sir Arthur never eats Tripe; tis too savoury for him, you know, my Lord.

MISS FITZGERALD.

Take away the Liver & Crow, & bring in the suet pudding.

(a short Pause.)

MISS FITZGERALD.

Sir Arthur, shan't I send you a bit of pudding?

LADY HAMPTON.

Sir Arthur never eats suet pudding, Ma'am. It is too high a Dish for him.

MISS FITZGERALD.

Will no one allow me the honour of helping them? Then John, take away the Pudding, & bring the Wine.

[SERVANTS take away the things and bring in the Bottles & Glasses.

LORD FITZGERALD.

I wish we had any Desert to offer you. But my Grandmother in her Lifetime, destroyed the Hothouse in order to build a receptacle for the Turkies with its materials; & we have never been able to raise another tolerable one.

LADY HAMPTON.

I beg you will make no apologies, my Lord.

WILLOUGHBY.

Come Girls, let us circulate the Bottle.

SOPHY HAMPTON

A very good notion, Cousin; & I will second it with all my Heart. Stanly, you don't drink.

STANLY.

Madam, I am drinking draughts of Love from Cloe's eyes.

SOPHY HAMPTON

That's poor nourishment truly. Come, drink to her better acquaintance.

LORD FITZGERALD.

And now my amiable Sophia, condescend to marry me.

[He takes her hand ]

SOPHY HAMPTON.

I certainly shall!

STANLY.

Oh! Cloe, could I but hope you would make me blessed --

CLOE WILLOUGHBY.

I will.

MISS FITZGERALD.

Since you, Willoughby, are the only one left, I cannot refuse your earnest solicitations -- There is my Hand.

LADY HAMPTON.

And may you all be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who must have their share in the conversation: