Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Emma on PBS

Box Hill Emma 2010 The newest adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma began on Sunday night, on PBS  Masterpiece.

The show stars Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller (Edmund from Mirimax’ Mansfield Park).

 emma_2I have been very happy with this adaptation. I think the acting is wonderful. A few friends have mentioned that Harriet Smith’s hairstyles were fancier than Emma’s. I noticed that too and I don’t think it’s right. It seems like some modern preferences have come through there, but that is a small issue. I know some people don’t like Garai’s acting as Emma. I thought it was great and pretty true to the book- but I will have to qualify that by showing my true colors….I’m a Jane Fairfax fan.

Emma Jane Fairfax 2010 color adjusted

Poor Jane Fairfax. Having an aunt like Miss Bates is a big strike against her, but it’s not her fault! Jane has all the merit, skill and talent on her side, and Emma has only money and the traditions of society. Jane’s one fault was taking the destiny of her life into her own hands!

 

Well, there’s my two cents worth. The next episode is on Sunday!

How did you like the beginning?

Note: The production photo from the top of the story was found at interactive.wxxi.org . I did not see an original site for this photo. It is gorgeous and worth zooming in on. It makes me want to get out the paints. I feel like I am with the characters on the Box Hill outing.

-Lynnae

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad I stopped by. I have not been a faithful visitor for awhile. I did not know this was on. So glad to find out. Thanks for sharing.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you missed the first episode it can be seen online on the Masterpiece website linked above. If you don't want to sit at the computer, many local PBS stations re-air the episode later in the week during the day or the wee hours of the morning, so check your local PBS channel.
    They will also be airing more of last year's new Austen shows...I think Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, again, so don't miss those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see it all!
    I was so disappointed with a book I got the other day that was supposed to be an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. It was called Impulse and Initiative and should have been called Naked and Narcisistic. Ugh. I should have read the back before I got a shock a few pages in. Needless to say, it got traded in at the Bookworm today, unread! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

People who must have their share in the conversation: