Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Almost Done With Emma

and good thing because I'm getting behind on the housework! I hate to admit this with Emma's AGM coming up, but it is not high on my list of Jane Austen favorites. But maybe afterwards I'll have a greater appreciation. My favorite novel of all time is Mansfield Park, with Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice in second and third. I know Mansfield Park sparks some debate among Jane Austen Fans, But I think I love Fanny Price so much because I more closely relate to her. My DREAM is to see a movie version of Mansfield Park that is fairly accurate to the book, and alas, I don't think this will ever happen. I spend a lot of time trying to persuade Jane Austen fans to even READ Mansfield Park. I was excited to hear that the ITV versions will be on PBS in the US in January. I can't wait. I've wanted to buy them and they are not available in a format for US TV's yet. I have heard from some people that they have been seen on youtube, and some people even stayed up all night to watch all three of the new movies on a four inch screen in seven minute sections and found it well worthwhile. I'm not condoning such crazed fan behavior, but this is what I hear about the movies.......... The new Mansfield Park was dissapointing, and seemed to be made for a teenage audience desiring nothing more than pretty buildings and regency costumes. The characterizations were all wrong, which makes the plot seem random and bizzarre. The Northanger Abbey was delightful, and really gives a new appreciation for the story, which is often overlooked because of it's simplicity and, I feel, because it is a parody of the typical gothic romance of the day. But the book is sweet because of the way Jane's voice comes through, and this movie is just that, sweet, delightful, well cast. There is a fan vieo on Youtube using clips of the movie to the song "As I Lay Me Down' by Sophie B. Hawkins, that is just excellent, by the way, and could serve as a trailer or promo for the film in January if you aren't quite up to watching the little Youtube screen the way some people are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AzHKf1wmhg ...As I Lay Me Down...
The ITV Persuasion was the most pleasant suprise and is highly reccommended. The casting was wonderful, the mood came across so well. For being condensed into the length of feature it is, it covered the story well, with a little creative liscence in the epilogue. It is so good it may atone for the weak Mansfield Park. The novel always brings a tear to my eye, even after many readings, and the movie reached that level of emotion. So here's to a countdown till January, and even better if they go on sale for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who must have their share in the conversation: