Friday, July 24, 2009

Celebrate a Jane Austen Birthday

August 9th is the heroine of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, Anne Elliot’s birthday. You can be sure her snooty family never celebrated the date once her beloved mother passed on, So let’s celebrate this year.

Anne Elliot birthday invitation

If you would like to celebrate Anne Elliot’s birthday with me please create something with the theme of Persuasion, Anne, or another character or location from the book Persuasion. From the beach at Lyme, to Bath, to the dashing Captain Wentworth, or Anne herself, all is welcome. Try visual art, poetry, or even a photographed vignette.

If you would like to participate you can copy the picture above and use it as a gadget on the sidebar with a link to this post. Create your masterpiece and post it on August 9th. Come back to this post and comment that you are participating, along with the name of your blog, and I will link to your blog on August 9th so I have a list here that we can all visit.

Let’s make this fun and give Anne a special day!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! What a great idea! I will let you know soon if I can participate:).

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear White Attic, Can you tell me how to make a link to your post. I have tried to put the url in the link and put the addy in the post but that doesn't work. I just don't how to do it. Any help will be appreciated. I love Jane Austen and I want to do this. Thanks
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the way I knoe how to do it.
    Copy the picture to your computer. From your blogger dashboard click on customize. In the little box that shows up, click the box that says 'add a gadget'.
    Gadegets will show up on the left and you scroll down and choose the one that says 'Picture'. Then in the box that pops up browse for the picture in your picture files, and select that. Then put the link to my blog post about the party in the space for a link. Save it and that should do it. It should show up on your sidebar at the top. You can use the same customize screen to move it lower down the page if you want.

    If you still have troubles just let me know you want to participate and I will still link to your blog on the 9th.
    Lynnae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Anne! Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ams o glad that you stopped by to visit my creative space. I have enjoyed browsing your lovely blog, we have a lot in common.
    I am a conservative and love politics as well and I am also LDS and I used to live in the Northwest. Thank you for stopping by it was nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share the same birthday as Anne! It's funny because I'm in process to upgrade my local boater's licence to an international mariner's licence, which I've had to jump many hoops for. I love the sea! I've always wondered how Jane Austen chose her character's birth dates, or if they were simply random. I really like your idea about creating Persuasion themed art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realise until a few minutes ago that Jane hadn't given any other characters a birthday! I've read 3 of her novels (repeatedly), but not the rest yet. Now I'm really curious about what kind of significance it may have had...

    ReplyDelete

People who must have their share in the conversation: